SOMINCOR – Sociedade Mineira de Neves Corvo, S.A.
- The Environmental Impact Study (EIS) concerning the Cerro do Lobo tailings dam project and the paste tailings disposal project, the modification of the Tin Mill into a Zinc Mill, the expansion of the Zinc Mill, the modification of the Copper Mill for slag and ore processing, included the following activities:
• Analysis and characterisation of the reference situation in the study area in different aspects, in particular, at the biophysical level: climate, geology, geomorphology and hydrogeology, soil and land use, spatial planning and land use constraints, hydrology and surface water resource management, air quality, sound environment, waste management, ecology and landscape; at the socioeconomic level: socioeconomics and archaeological, architectural and ethnological heritage;
• Determination and assessment of environmental impacts regarding these environmental aspects, resulting from the implementation of the projects (in the construction, operation and decommissioning phases of the mining complex);
• Proposal of mitigation measures to reduce the significance of identified impacts;
• Proposal of environmental monitoring programmes for the construction, operation and decommissioning phases, as well as the determination of environmental management measures;
• Risk analysis associated with the operation of the projects involved.